The American Waltham Watch Co. was founded in Massachusetts in 1850. They were considered one of the largest watch manufacturers of the 19th century.
The company was founded by three gentlemen, Mr. Davis, Mr. Dension and Mr. Howard. They each felt quality watches could be made without the need of expensive materials often used by other watchmakers. Unfortunately, their concept of inexpensive materials failed and the company was under extreme financial stress.
The company changed names numerous times over the years. Initially, their watch brand was “American Horology Company.” By 1852, the company was branding watches with the name “The Warren Manufacturing Company.” The first 110 watches produced had various names on the dial. The first 17 were given to company officials and executives. Watches 18 – 110 were engraved with the name “Warren Boston.” The next 800 watches were signed “Samuel Curtis” and a few were marked “Fellows and Schel.” In 1853, the company name was changed again to Boston Watch Co. The Boston Watch Co. struggled to keep afloat, and in 1857 was auctioned to the highest bidder, Royal E. Robbins. The company would change names yet again and would be known as Appleton, Tracey & Co. In 1859, the company would merge with the Waltham Improvement Co. to form the American Waltham Watch Co. This firm went out of business in 1957. It is said that the Waltham Watch Co. produced about 40 million watches, clocks, speedometers, compasses, time fuses and other instruments between 1850 and 1957.