Blancpain was founded in 1735 in a small farmhouse in Switzerland by jehan-jacques Blancpain. Blancpain has always claimed, “Since 1735, there has never been a quartz Blancpain watch.” In the 19705, the desire to keep this promise almost led to the firm’s demise. At that time, inexpensive quartz watches were being made in japan and China. However, with the help of Omega executive, Jean-Claude Biver, they were able to rebuild the brand they were known for, producing fine, limited-edition mechanical watches.
In 1953, Blancpain debuted the famous diver’s watch, “Fifty Fathoms.” This watch was featured in the award-winning film by jacques Cousteau, “The World of Silence.”
Today, Blancpain produces less than 10,000 watches a year. Each watch is individually numbered and recorded in the company archives. The movements are designed by the firm’s sister company. Frederic Piquet. The boxes, buckles and straps are of the highest quality.
The company produces only mechanical, round-case watches. The most recognizable models today are the “Fifty Fathoms” diver’s watch, the “Half Hunter,” and the “1735” — a six-complication timepiece that includes automatic chronograph, minute repeater, moon phase, perpetual calendar, split-second chronograph and tourbillion.